Saturday, August 29, 2009

Cure for a bad mood

Not sure what it was this morning...even late last night. But I was in a funk. Most people around me wouldn't have known it, except maybe my husband...who did ask me several times last night, "Are you ok?" Course I gave him the answer he always gives me..."I'm fine." Which I by the way hate when he does that to me...sorry babe. :) Honestly though, I don't really know what was wrong. Just one of those funks.

On my to-do list today was prepping for the College and Life Success class I'm starting next week for the highschoolers in one of our homeschool co-ops. So, regardless of my attitude, with a pout on my face, I started. The first lesson is supposed to be motivational...propelling the students to really dive right in and throw off those things that are hindering them from reaching their potential. The class is based in biblical ideas of discipline and self-leadership. So guess what I had to do...dive into my Bible and do a little research. Then I pulled out my notes from my pastor on talks he's given on leadership and discipline, and next to some John Maxwell and other great leaders' books and my own notes on them. While I was working, I was able to offer some encouraging words via text and email to a friend who is going through a tough time. During a break from my lesson plan writing, I was able to spend some time on the phone talking to a great friend and leader with whom I can be honest with and I know she will be honest in return, telling me what I need to hear, even if it's not what my flesh wants to hear.

Wow. It's been a couple hours and the pout and sour attitude are history. They've been replaced with an amazing feeling of gratitude and peace that only my Heavenly Father could provide. Circumstances haven't changed, but I know my God is in control and He is faithful!

So, the cure for my bad mood? God's word, the words of the leaders in your life that know God's truths, sharing that truth with others, and a chat with a good friend :) Plus, in a few hours I get to go hear some even more wisdom and encouraging words and take part in some amazing worship at church. Doesn't get any better!

So, what helps you refocus and get back on track?

No comments:

Post a Comment