Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The One True Source

Been a long time :)  I know.  Just started a new book and thought I'd share some of my thoughts.  It's called Secrets of the Secret Place, by Bob Sorge.  I've just read the first three chapters, but excited on how it's going to challenge me to really, REALLY, go deeper in my quiet time...or secret place.

In the first chapter I was immediately struck by the following sentence:

"I've watched myself return persistently to the sources which are no source."

Man have I done that.  I think we all do.  When we're tired or worn out, even if it's from serving God, and we think we need a break...we need to relax.  What do we do?  Flip the TV on.  Veg out.  Eat.  Exercise (obsessively).  Call up that gossipy friend who will tell us what we want to hear so we feel better. Even those of us who call ourselves mature Christians.  We latch onto these "sources"  that do precisely the opposite of what we need. Instead, they actually sap our energy supply in most cases.  The only true source is God.  So why do we turn to substitutes?

No really, why do we do it?  I'm guilty of it.  I know sometimes if I'm not challenged or pushed I won't do what I know is needed, what is good for me.  Why?  I know that everytime I workout, I feel GREAT afterwards.  I know that everytime I eat healthy, I feel good.  Everytime I read a good book, I feel wiser.  Everytime I read God's word, and truly think about and meditate on what I've read, I feel inspired.  I feel encouraged.  I feel strong. And everytime I truly spend time seeking God's presence, I feel peaceful.

So why do we resist?  It's actually kind of funny.  I mean, I'm usually a very driven person.  The go-to when someone wants to get something done.  I can run circles around many when it comes to productivity.  When it's hard, I can dig deep and find the will to push on and get something done.  Buzzer shots and the last lap are my specialty.  So why in certain areas, can I just not get it done?

Because I can't.  Because I'm relying on me.  My will.  My previous success in other areas is quite possibly exactly what's causing my failure in these important ones.  I'm trying to do it in my own power.  I'm not resting in Him.   I've got to give it to God...all of it.  I've got to rely on the only one true source.  He's the only one that can refill me.

"Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again.  The water that I will give him will become in him s a spring of water welling up to eternal life." John 4:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment