Friday, June 14, 2019

Reasons NOT to go to another Classical Conversations practicum.

I know.  You've been to one or two of these things, or even more, so you know the deal.  Why are they asking you to go AGAIN?!

Chances are, if you think you don't need to attend practicum, you probably need to go more than anyone else.

1.  I've been to a couple and yeah, I know how the program works so I don't need to go. 

I've been to more than 20 practicums.  And every time I learn SOMETHING.  You see, we are classical educators.  And as classical educators, we EMBRACE repetition.  We know that repetition is important for our kids to really get to the point of understanding.  Repetition increases comprehension.  Guess what, same works for us.  Really.  I mean that whole 10,000 times and THEN begins understanding isn't just something we use for our students. AND if you're getting close to that 10,000 times, then maybe it's time to sign up to lead a camp, or train tutors, or even speak!  If you're somewhere in the middle, then come and mentor a brand new homeschool mama who is in that scared-to-death-they're-gonna-mess-up-their-kids-whole-life stage and encourage them!

2. I'm so busy and overwhelmed there's no way I can take a break to attend. 

If this is you, you need to be there more than anyone.  If' you're feeling overwhelmed come and let us love on and pray for you.  We are called to community.  And that means we need to bear one another's burdens.  Come and be encouraged by the speaker. Pray with another mama. Just be fed.  Simply by surrounding yourself with other like-minded parents you will feel better.  Also, if you're overwhelmed by classical education, someone has misled you.  Classical Conversations parents do not need to be task masters.  If you're feeling pressure to complete anything on someone else's timeline, that's not the point.  And I'd dare say that developing a better understanding of how to implement the program from a place of rest is exactly what you need!

3.  CC is just not working for us and I'm not sure if we'll continue. 

Maybe this is true.  I mean the program is not for everyone.  I do believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is the very best program to prepare any child for any path that God has for them from welder to doctor to stay-at-home mama to lawyer to garbageman to ANYTHING.  The point of a classical, Christian education is to teach them to seek truth with all they have.  Anyone who intends to live a life free of being captured by the thoughts and ideas of the world is going to need to know how to find logical fallacies.  Anyone who will vote should understand how to identify truth and truly know history so we don't continue to repeat it.  Come to practicum and practice the tools of learning.  Ask hard questions.

4.  We don't do CC. 

The lost tools of learning we practice at our events can benefit EVERYONE.  Even if you're not homeschooling.  Even if you're not PARENTING.  The classical method can help anyone learn anything.  Our events are Christ-centered and a great way to meet other mission-minded people.  They can benefit anyone who is interested in education!

In our Challenge II class this past year we read that Socrates actually enjoyed or appreciated it when someone proved him wrong.  He said that if he was wrong, he was glad to finally know the truth and was grateful that he would no longer be on that wrong path.  If you were considering not attending this year, I pray you receive this message with the heart I truly intended...just to help and encourage.  And if this has not been your experience with CC, let me be the first to apologize.  It is my prayer that our communities and events can be a place where God is glorified through all of our interactions with each other.  Please join me in prayer that this is what will happen.

We have our last event in the Greater Miami Area, June 24-26, at Homestead.  Click here for more info and to register!

18 comments:

  1. whoah this weblog is excellent i really like reading your posts.
    Keep up the great work! You recognize, lots of people are looking around
    for this information, you can aid them greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Informative article, just what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say what a relief to find a person that truly understands what they
    are discussing online. You actually understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
    More people should check this out and understand this side of
    your story. It's surprising you aren't more popular because you surely possess the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate the recommendation. Let me try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey April! This post is SO GREAT! Love the way you've answered all of these reasons why people don't attend Practicum. Would you be okay with it if my team and I potentially republished this at some point in the future to help promote Practicums? Drop me an email at siddings@classicalconversations.com and let me know :) If you do choose to give us permission, we would site your name, but just your first name and maybe your state or city or role in CC (something like: “April, Illinois mom” or “April, Challenge parent”), for your privacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah! JUST seeing this! So glad you emailed me :) Of course you can use or link to it. Just one thing...I'm from Indiana :) However, I now live in Miami ;) Either way is fine. Not really concerned with credit anyhow ;)

      Delete
  6. Your way of explaining the whole thing in this post is genuinely pleasant, all be capable
    of easily know it, Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone!

    Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your
    posts! Carry on the outstanding work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there! I simply want to give you a huge thumbs
    up for the excellent information you have here
    on this post. I'll be returning to your blog for more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your post. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be
    okay. I'm undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward
    to new updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, however I'm not very active on twitter. @ladybugjung

      Delete
  11. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear.

    Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways,
    just wanted to say excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a topic that's near to my heart... Many thanks!
    Where are your contact details though?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great delivery. Solid arguments. Keep up the great effort.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice article. I absolutely appreciate this site.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete